Eva Birhanu is an interdisciplinary artist and emerging curator working in Mohkinstis (Calgary, Alberta) on Treaty 7 Territory. Born in Canada to immigrant parents from Denmark and Ethiopia, she focuses on identity and biraciality in her work. eva’s practice involves mediums of fibre and sculpture, auto-ethnographically exploring exoticism, objectification and more recently ally performativity. In her practice, eva often incorporates iconography of her own racial identity as a way to portray micro aggressions felt by biracial and Black women.
Eva’s emerging curatorial practice stems from wanting to reflect the community where she lives, in gallery spaces, focusing on the representation of Black, Indigenous and People of Colour. eva recently graduated with distinction from Alberta University of the Arts with a BFA in Fibre. She is currently the Curatorial Resident at Stride Gallery, exploring her emerging curatorial practice.
- Alberta University of the Arts
- Craft and Emerging Media – Fibre BFA / 2020
- 2021 Rosza Admin Fundamentals Training (RAFT)
- Stride Gallery
- Curatorial Resident / October 2020 - Ongoing
- Illingworth Kerr Gallery
- Gallery Attendant / September 2019 – April 2020
- Poly + Esther Gallery Wall
- Coordinator and organizer / September 2019 – April 2020
- 2020 you stare, i stare The New Gallery, Calgary, AB, CA
- 2020 look – don’t touch Marion Nicoll Gallery LRT Space, Calgary, AB, CA
- 2019 Weaving Samples Poly+Esther Wall AUArts, Calgary, AB, CA
Two People and Group Exhibitions:
- UPCOMING - 2022 (TBA) SAAG, Lethbridge, AB, CAN
- 2021 Conversation Maytens Projects, Toronto, ON, CAN
- 2021 - 2024 Never Ending Poetry TREX Region 4 (Southeast), Alberta, CAN
- 2021 Threading Black: Eva Birhanu and Simone Saunders on Connecting Race, Roots, and Identity
- Alberta Craft Council Calgary Gallery, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2021 Threading Black: Eva Birhanu and Simone Saunders on Connecting Race, Roots, and
- Identity Alberta Craft Council Discovery Gallery, Edmonton, AB, CAN
- 2019 Odds @ Ends Group Exhibition, CSpace, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2019 The Light Effect Group Exhibition, I Love You Coffeeshop, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2019 April Off Beat Figure Drawing Session show Firefly Group Exhibition, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2019, 2018 Fibre Fortnight Group Exhibition, AUArts, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2018 Intertwined Group Exhibition, ATB Financial Arts and Culture Branch, Calgary, AB, CAN
- UPCOMING - 2021 - 2022 (TBA) Farihah Aliyah Shah, Stride Gallery, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2021 - Ongoing The Prairie Crocus, Stride Gallery Window Space, co-curated by Dan Cardinal McCartney and eva birhanu, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2021 Shroud, Crown, Grey Area, Generations co-curated by Dan Cardinal McCartney and eva birhanu, in partnership with ICAI, Group Exhibition, Stride Gallery, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2021 Canadian Women in Craft: A Conversation, Alberta Craft Council.
- 2021 Curatorial Practices of eva birhanu and Becca Taylor: An Artist Panel, Marion Nicoll Gallery and TREX Southwest.
- 2021 Opening of Threading Black: Eva Birhanu and Simone Saunders on Connecting Race, Roots, and Identity, Alberta Craft Council.
- 2020 Conversation with Eva Birhanu and Khadijah Morley, The New Gallery.
- CAAF Residency
- 2021 NVRLND, Calgary, AB, CAN
- 2021 - IBPOC Arts Leaders Residency Grant
- 2021 - Canada Council for the Arts Explore and Create
Awards and Acknowledgements:
- 2020 - Fibre Major Innovative Development Award
- 2020 - BMO 1st Art Competition Nominee
- 2019 - Louise McKinney Scholarship
- President’s Honour Roll
- Winter 2020, Fall 2019, Fall 2018, Winter 2017
- 2018, 2017 Jason Lang Scholarship
- UPCOMING - 2021 Black Portraitures: Toronto, Absent/ed Presence, Studio Visits
- 2020 Tatting Workshop Facilitator